- The objective of scanning is to discover live systems, active/running ports, the operating systems, and the services running on the network.
- Attacker determines the live hosts from a range of IP addresses by sending ICMP ECHO requests to multiple hosts.
- Attackers use various scanning techniques to bypass firewall rules and logging mechanism, and hide themselves as usual network traffic.
- Banner grabbing or OS fingerprinting is the method to determine the operating system running on a remote target system.
- Drawing target's network diagram gives valuable information about the network and its architecture to an attacker.
- A proxy server is an application that can serve as an intermediary for connecting with other computers.
- A chain of proxies can be created to evade a traceback to the attacker.