2.2.5 Email Footprinting
Tracking Email Communications
- Email tracking is used to monitor the delivery of emails to an intended recipient.
- Attackers track emails to gather information about a target recipient in order to perform social engineering and other attacks.
- Get recipient's system IP address
- Geolocation of the recipient
- When the email was received and read
- Whether or not the recipient visited any links sent to them
- Get recipient's browser and operating system information
- Time spent on reading the emails
Collecting Information from Email Header